Friday, February 29, 2008

how important is one day?

According to the U.S. Department of Labor, on average, Americans use their time each day in the following ways:

--Sleep: 7.6 hours
--Work: 8.2 hours
--Sports and leisure activities: 2.6 hours
--Household activities: 1.0 hours
--Eating and drinking: 1.1 hours
--Caring for others: 1.1 hours
--Other: 2.4 hours

This month, thanks to an accumulation of left-over time from the past three years, we get an extra day -- an extra 24 hours. I subscribe to a 'do-good' website called Razoo. Their challenge for everyone this month is to, quote, "use some or all of this extra time (24 hours) to make a difference in the world around you."

I take this as a very positive challenge. I am always saying I want to 'give back' more, but rarely do I make the time to actually volunteer. I want to start making time. And it starts here. Since we were given an extra day in 2008, I will start with 24 hours of 'giving back' and hope it grows. A solid 24 hours of some sort of volunteering. That's not a lot to ask. Not at all. Stay tuned for how I use it.

What will you do with yours?

No comments: