Sunday, February 3, 2008

trash to treasure

At our house, if we're not watching football or Comedy Central, then the TV is tuned into HGTV or TLC. I am totally hooked on home improvement projects. It's quite scary just how many "do it yourself" TV shows I could actually watch in a row. Well, this weekend, instead of watching someone else turn "trash to treasure" I decided to do it myself.

A few months ago I stopped at a garage sale and bought an old shelf/side table. The sellers were more than happy for me to take their beaten-up piece of furniture off their hands -- and since this thing is so old, it was built correctly, unlike most things today. For only $5, I was stoked about my bargain! I love finding old furniture, unused items, or so called 'trash' and making something new out of them. And HGTV is not the only blame for my rather unusual enthusiasm of home projects -- my dad has been doing this for years. And years before that, my grandmother did the same. I guess it runs in the family.

Below are a few photos of the project. I forgot to take a 'before' photo -- rookie mistake -- but my hubbie took a few others of me in the process. After sanding, removing the door from the front, priming and painting it is complete. Nothing fancy, but it sure is better!






Once the weather starts getting better, you can count on more projects more often. Unfortunately, since we're renting right now, not as many as I would like... for example... the wooden paneling you see in the background of the last pic. Oh what I wouldn't give to update that!

2 comments:

iHeartTheATX said...

Jen, I feel ya! I am addicted to Project Ladder (TLC 5pm) and know you are the type to get something like that done. Love your blogs! Ash

Angela said...

Hey Jennifer! I myself am an HGTV addict! When Ricky falls asleep in his chair I still the remote and change the channel! Love ya!
Angela