There is an element of genuine friendship that no other feeling can replace. A deep sensation of love and admiration for another soul that never goes away -- and it's one of our many blessings in life.
I got a surprise call from my college roommate last night. She is in town for a day or so and invited me out for a drink to catch up. I was in the middle of my weekly art class, with two paintings to finish for the Spring Art Show, but bolted out of there like a child on their way to the candy store. Giddy and filled with excitement of seeing a long-time friend.
The last time I saw her was at my wedding, and before that it was the semester after I graduated college. It had been a while. And what amazes me is the purity of our friendship. We lived together for 4 years. Met potluck our freshman year of college and never parted. Granted, we had our fair share of ups and downs, but thankfully there were more ups. :) And even after three years of only seeing her a few times, we were able to pick up as usual, as if we hadn't missed more than a week of each other. Our lives have evolved drastically, but we have that bond that I hope will never go away.
It's the kind of bond you have with a sister or brother. A love that runs deep. One that you would do anything for if they called and needed help. And I am so thankful for that. It got me thinking about friendship in general. How a true friend means more than several dozen acquaintances.
But making new friends is tough. When you're out of college and working all the time, it's difficult to meet people. And I know I am not the only one. And now that I am married, it seems even more difficult for my husband and I to meet people. Maybe because we are homebodies most the time and don't get out enough. Lol. Or maybe it's because great friends are hard to come by.
I do seem to attach myself to people when I know they are good. Seeing my college roommate reminded me of the loyal friendships I have created over the years. I still keep in touch with my three best friends from high school. There are three from college, her included, that I would drive across the country for. And my life in Kansas City brought me three more beautiful friendships that I wouldn't trade for the world (one that's about to welcome her second beautiful baby this fall). Perhaps three is my lucky number. I do have three siblings and maybe I will have three kids (eventually). :)
Overall... I guess my point is that there are certain people in our lives that we cherish. Perhaps we should let them know that. We should be thankful for their presence in our lives and the beauty they have each instilled upon us.
Who do you cherish? Do they know how much they mean to you?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I met this girl on an ad club trip on year, then had her in class, then on a team, then we moved to another city and worked together and now that we are apart we can pick up right where we left off too. We have this amazing understanding of one another too. ;)
Ashley would be one of the above-mentioned college friends that I deeply care for. It seems I have that pick-up-where-we-left-off relationship with most of my gals. :)
Post a Comment