Thursday, July 10, 2008

pickens plan

T. Boone Pickens is a Texas oil man through and through. But now he's out to make a difference instead of just a dollar. We need to depart from foreign oil. We need to create our own renewable energy here at home and utilize the resources we have.

"I've been an oil man all my life, but this is one emergency we can't drill our way out of. But if we create a new renewable energy network, we can break our addiction to foreign oil." - Pickens

I think this is great. Check out this video and then check out their site: pickensplan.com.



The site put it well when stating that 'Foreign oil is at the core of the three most critical issues America is facing today: the economy, our environment and our national security.' What I didn't realize was just how much we are spending on importing. $700 BILLION every year. Yuck.

I feel like his solution is a great middle ground. We seriously need to invest more effort and money in wind power. And in addition to his solution for middle America wind farms (because of the mass amount of wind in that area of the country), most of that wind is created at night. Coincidentally, we do not use as much power at night. If I understand this correctly, wind power cannot be stored. It has to be used. That seems like a problem. But... what if we created more wind farms along the coast? Coastal winds flow night and day. I have heard that our local energy company, CPS Energy, is looking into this and I think it's a smart decision. Hopefully more will act as well.

Never the less, we need to make it happen somehow. Even if just through middle America, it's a start. And it's a start towards something we would see the results on sooner than later. Plus, with the increase of natural gas (mentioned in my Seattle post as well), we decrease our dependency on importing oil. If we cannot drill anymore at home, then we need to figure something else out. The key word is... AT HOME. Pickens has a great point. By doing something at home, we help all three of our issues at stake.

If you've got the energy (no pun intended) to get involved in this issue (our issue) then please do. If not, then find the energy to at least share this information. Here's the link again: pickensplan.com

No comments: