Thursday, September 4, 2008

in the spotlight

Although I have been an Obama supporter this year, I do not consider myself a Democrat -- just want to throw that out there. And as more of an Independent, I was anxious to watch the Republican National Convention this week. And last night especially, as Pailn took the stage.

While I still believe McCain chose her for the wrong reasons, I have to hand it to her. The speech she gave last night was well executed and delivered with the character of a "normal, tough gal," which is how they described her prior to. She did well for herself. And she needed to.

But I think she tried a little too hard and went a little too far. What concerns me is her lack of accuracy when disgracing her opponents, Obama and Biden. And with her poise and likeability, completely targeting women in this country, I fear many people taking her word for truth. Which it is not. And like all politicians, it tends to be a fabrication. And in this day and age, when the factual knowledge is at our fingertips, we often glance over it and don't make the time to make up our own mind and read through fine print.

All I can say is that this is going to be a tough fight. And both parties better bring it. I'm certainly anxious to watch the debates between McCain and Obama, and then Palin and Biden. Should be quite interesting... and I sincerely hope they get to the policies and changes, and not just go on the defense.

On a side note. I just have to share this! … While Peggy Noonan and Mike Murphy, Republican political consultants and speech writers, might have changed her mind after hearing Palin last night, they are certainly regretting their off-camera words (before the speech), when a microphone was left on. Oops. Guess I'm not the only one...

No comments: