Monday, November 24, 2008

only memories remain

With tough economic times, comes unfortunate outcomes. The downturn of this country has been slow to hit home for me (thankfully), but that all changed yesterday.

On my 6 block walk to work in the morning, I walk by Ruta Maya. A place that holds a lot of memories for me: soup and wine before Monday night art classes, an early morning pick-me-up on the way to work, the place where I got my super-cool Obama silkscreen t-shirt, great food for lunch when you just cannot stand to have subway anymore, and the best of all: the venue of my first art show.

Unfortunately, those memories now stand still, with no option for growth. I walked by and saw the whole place boarded up. Locks changes. No entrance was left untouched. It crushed me. And I knew the owner. She’s a coworker of mine's cousin. And due to no money coming in, from people not going out, they had to close their doors. This was a business created by good people. Good people that believed in fair trade and giving back to the community. A place where artists and businessmen alike could come and enjoy coffee or music or food and drinks. And now it's no more.

The sad thing is that this is just one of many that had to (or will have to) close their doors. Just the other day, I was sent a list of dozens and dozens of companies that are going under. It’s a little scary. Now, I agree that our spending habits using credit had gotten way out of hand, but for all to drop at once is a frightening thing.

And that thought is even closer to home. My parents own a small, family-owned business in Austin. With things how they are, you never know what can happen. I know that the newly elected leadership has good plans for us. I voted for him. But in doing so, I opted to tax small businesses that bring in more than $250K. I hope that doesn’t backfire. I hope that this new leadership makes changes for the good, not overlooking those that need it. And I hope they do it soon.

No comments: