Tuesday, March 25, 2008

sharing the passion

If art isn't somehow a large part of my calling, I cannot imagine what's in store for me. Tonight was the second time I volunteered for an art organization called SHARE. You can find the first post I did here, but in short it's an org where "Students Help Art Reach Everyone" and tonight was the main event. Over 700 works of art were submitted from San Antonio schools and districts.


The exhibit for all artwork was tonight and around 600 children and their families came to admire and show off their masterpieces. Southwest School of Art held the exhibit, and it actually draws the largest crowd for them all year. Fox News even interviewed some of the little artists (one boy is featured in the photos below). All pieces will be judged on Sunday and 100 will be selected and framed as a permanent collection at an establishment in San Antonio that is in dire need of inspiration, peace and passion.

And let me tell ya... the energy and enthusiasm of these children illuminated the room. It's the kind that warms and chills your spine in the same breath of a smile. Being there tonight solidified the thought I've been having of one day becoming an art teacher. Even if it's just a summer adjunct teacher. I know I could. And I hope I could make a difference in the lives of children. It's a great feeling.

And while it's becoming more and more of an urge in my heart, I know it's not the right time yet. And who knows, I may change my mind! Lol. But my passion for art and local talent continues to grow strong. This is the first of many art-related organizations I hope to be a part of --to volunteer my time towards and spread the joy and beauty that is in the expressions of so many artists, even as small as a kindergardener. :)

Here are some shots from tonight before the huge rush. The artists range from kindergarden to 12th... and I have a feeling there are a few real future artists/designers in the group.









1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.